Dome Nation Population

Friday, February 6, 2009

Garden Shenanigans - J



So after attending the Lebron Garden Performance, I can honestly say that it was the most entertaining live basketball game I have ever watched. The game was so overhyped because of Kobe’s unconscious performance just two nights before. No matter what Lebron said before the game, this dude had aspirations in his mind to outdo his competitor. I’d say over 25% of the fans in the arena were there to cheer on the King. All throughout the national anthem, there were groups of drunken bafoons shouting out his name. I even saw a few Lebron knick jerseys which I wanted to tear off and then proceed hit the fugazy in the face for insulting the human race. Anyway, the King’s mission became very apparent in the first quarter when Lebron was given more isolation plays than his previous 3 games combined (source of this stat unknown). By the end of the first he had 20, and everyone in the crowd was talking about breaking the record. Then after a few poor shots, James starting sharing the ball with the Wally Szherbiak and the rest of the jamoakes on the Cavs, resulting in only having 26 at the half.

On a more important note, the Italian Rookie Gallinari has become a crowd favorite of late. He is one goofy looking kid and puts up less than 10 points a game, but there is some bond that fans have to white players. Its like it’s a miracle that they can compete in the NBA and they are some sort of child prodigy. I found myself screaming “the rooster!” at the top of my lungs everytime he scored. It’s the same way I felt when I was growing up following Jason Williams’ AKA “white chocolates” career.

There were a number of celebs in the crowd as you can imagine whom they showed on the big screen. You had Ciara, Mel B from the spice girls, Joe, Whoopi, the entire rangers team, and Chris Rock. Now before they introduced Chris Rock, they had a little segment on the big screen where the Knicks players voted who was funnier, Chris Rock or Chris Tucker? Are you fucking kidding me? Chris Tucker better pray they make a rush hour 4 or he’ll never see another penny from Hollywood again unless he decides to start doing h-bombs and lands a gig on celebrity rehab. The sad thing was the vote was actually close. Lets just say I was extremely disappointed with my favorite teams’ comedic tastes. Then Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys is displayed and lets just say he’s not looking like a rap star these days. I love the Beastie Boys to death, but their “Time to get Ill” has clearly expired. I’m sorry but rappers with all grey hair just don’t do it for me. I’d feel like a man desperately trying to relive his past by going to one of their shows now.

Anyway, that’s slightly off topic so let me get back to the game. In the second half, Lebron scored the most casual 26 points. His shots were dispersed and he never seemed to dominate at any point of the game. He was more focused on getting his team involved and only took shots when necessary. It seemed as if he wouldn’t come close to Kobe’s record but when I looked up at the scoreboard, he was about the break fifty. I will tell you that if Lebron was actually looking for the shot like he did in the first quarter, he would have easily surpassed Kobe’s record. But he pulled off a triple double while scoring 52 points, which is much more impressive anyway. After the game as usual, he says that this is favorite place to play, so one can only hope he’ll leave the forsaken sports city of Cleveland and come to New York. Until then I got the Italian and Nate the Great to cheer for. Enjoy the weekend and make sure to watch the Syracuse vs. Villanova game on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment