Dome Nation Population

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Pistons & The Orange. Who Can Dissapoint More? -M. Tomp

Its been a rough time lately for this sports fan. My teams just aren't pulling their weight the way that they should be. As football season ends, I look at the performance on my two favorite teams during the season from the NFL & NCAA. The Dallas Cowboys, well everybody knows about the Dallas Cowboys. The U? Despite highly rated recruiting, decent defensive play and a coach that I like but doesn't seem like he wants to stick around for a while, are playing like a traditional program of mediocrity, like Syracuse football or something.

While the times were bad, they were nowhere near what this guy had to go through. But I was looking forward to some decent basketball play from two contenders at two different levels with the Syracuse Orange and Detroit Pistons. Both looked like hot tickets coming, but each has been making my head feel like rupturing the entire basketball season.

I guess I'll begin with the Orange(men). This group has done a phenomenal job of performing well below expectations every year since 2003, when they won the championship, and you know, had some balls. Needless to say, this has been most aggravating, but it really didn't become truly evident until this year. Talk about a team on the rise. They were playing some decent bball, avoided any major injuries and were beating some decent contenders (Kansas, Florida & Memphis). It was hot, I was thinking, wow, maybe we can make the tourney for the first time in 3 years. As much fun as second tier championships are, they really just lack the flavor of winning the big won.

Now, of course, I see we're headed right back to the slums of the NIT. It became pretty evident when they lost to these jamokes and things have just now started to spiral incredibly out of control. Right off the bat, they've lost 4 of their last 5 in the Big (B)East, and while its to exceptional teams, its simply unacceptable. My first question is why does a guy who plays for the Canadian National Team start, when all he can do is pop tres and not defend people. Did I mention he plays for team Canada? Yet, he's from central New York? Can anyone explain that one to me? Because, I'm at a loss for words.

Second, how is it that the McDonalds All-American, pride of the Tri-City area and second leading scorer come off the bench to back this guy up? Is it because of his alleged assault Or is it something personal Jim Boeheim? Or is it some sort of built up rage that you have? Either way, I don't understand it. E.D. may have slapped that girl, but he's no Nick Van Excel (Mavs era) or Manu Ginobli. We need this man on the court, asap. His left hand is sweeter than this man.

I don't know how the Orange are going to hold it together for the February/March stretch. I mean the schedule gets a little easier, but not that much. St. Johns is a cupcake, but as I've learned over the years, always watch out for those tasty delights. They still have to play 'Nova twice (who just beat the Pitt who is so hot right now) and they must tangle with UConn down the road. That's not to mention the bloody valentine they're sure to deliver to Georgetown on February 14th at the Carrier Dome, while I'll view it from this fine establishment.

Johnny Flynn can not carry the entire team on his back. Although, he is the man. Onuaku has proved he every bit of the beast I thought he would be, but what is with 'Cuse recruiting big men (a'la Rick Jackson, Terrence Roberts & Darryl Watkins) who couldn't hit a free throw if their very lives depended on it. Ugh, I guess this is why March is filled with such madness.

After all of that venting, I don't know how I'm going to get re-frustrated regarding the Detroit Pistons. Oh, I know, I'll just look at this lovely image. Ok, I know the Answer is a phenomenal OFFENSIVE player, and I will never deny that. But I can't stop thinking about how the 'stons traded their second best player (SHEEEEEEEEEED) away, for another guy, who can only really play 1 side of the ball and has never really been known for being, you know, a 'team' player.

On the rare chance I do actually get to see the Pistons, I feel like I don't even know what I'm looking at. Sheed looks like a loafer. Rips all moopy facey because he has to come of the bench for the guy who only averages 1 point more then him. Tayshaun is unhappy with is role in the offense most of the time. McDyess came back for this? Rodney Stuckey lost a great role model for his position even though he's an amazing scorer (just not there defensively). And my favorite basketball player is having the worst season of his career since he first came into the league.

I'm sorry if I'm not content with a five seed in the playoffs, but this is a team that has made going to the conference finals their job. I don't care if they haven't been to the finals since 2005. They should have won that 7 game series, despite its incredibly low ratings, featured some amazing basketball from two of the most consistent franchises in recent NBA history. Its a damn shame everything's falling apart for Detroit in order to dump A.I. & Sheed's expiring contracts at the end of the year to get ready for the epic summer season of 2010. I guess I thought the Pistons were like the Steelers, who always seem like they did the best they could to have a team ready to win NOW.

What a discouraging sports season. Its sad when you have to rely on the Iowa Hawkeyes to hit more 3 balls then the MSU Spartans to get a kick out of basketball week.

No comments:

Post a Comment