Dome Nation Population

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Time to Pull a Peter Frampton and Come Alive! -M.Tomp




Ladies & Gentlemen the road to the NBA finals evidently goes through TD BankNorth Garden tonight as the Lakers meet in an epic skirmish vs. the Celtics of Boston. Now, by all counts I see this game as a dead even match up. You've got Kobe vs. Paul Pierce and 4 other guys on each team that can only play one side of the ball. One team is littered with brilliantly skilled European players headlined by Pau Gasol and this jamoke. The other is filled with underperforming, undersized, overutilized little big men headlined by Big "I really do love to cry" Baby. I love the league. So, for some reason the Cs are favored by 6.5 points, which is a real whopper for a casual regular season friendly match up. Frankly, I think its absurd, almost as absurd as this recent promotion. Sure, this could be a blowout for Boston, but highly doubt it. But with that said, I suppose anything is possible.

Now, I may not be from Boston, but I've quickly picked up on how passionate the fans can be around the New England area. I think the biggest realization is that this frenzy of support isn't really built around supporting the local team, but bashing the living shit out of whomever they are playing. Its really quite interesting and hope to outline this thought a variety of posts dealing with the turmoil that is the Boston sports scene.

Welcome to the world of one, Matthew Torres; more commonly referred to (by myself & others) as Marty McFly or The One Man Party. Based on that image alone, you can tell that I have quite the fan base and can ball out of control. I swear. My background is scattered seeing as how I'm not really from anywhere, but I do like to consider myself a Michigander, but that's just a start. I have ties to Texas, South Carolina, Central New York, Pittsburgh and some other random places. Being part of a mixed ethnicity (a little white, mostly Cuban) I think it justifies my support of various organizations in various parts of the country. First and foremost, I root for America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys. I was living in the grand state of Texas when they won their three amazing super bowls in the 90s and I have been hooked ever since. Both of my parents attended The U and I have paid attention to every game they have played except the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, which was fabricated to give the Big Ten(11) some sort of sense of pride in the 21st century.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Michigan fan, just not when this is happening. As for the league, I have always and will always support the 'Stons. Part of Detroit Basketball, which is the shit. Especially this man, who will absolutely dominate you and your favorite NBA player. Yes, I realize they're going through some turmoil right now, when it turns out the guy you pay $20 million a year for, blows more ass, then, well some other people that do that. Oh, did I mention the guy whose started there the last 6 years makes half the money and only averages 1 point less coming off the bench? GO FIGURE! So, I'm a little bitter on that front, but hey, when the playoffs come around, everything can change baby.

We'll see where things go from here, I'm not expecting too much out of this Lakers, Celtics game thats about to start. If I had to make one prediction, it would be Pau Gasol going for a near triple double effort while Kobe scores around 47 points, and Eddie House will probably drop 25 just to spite me. Lets see how it pans out. We'll call it the TOMP special of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment